Best's Disease (Macular Dystrophy)
What is Best's Disease (Macular Dystrophy)?
Self Help & Tips
- Get Vitamins & Supplements to Support the Retina.
- Recommended Homeopathic remedy for retina: Homeopathic Macular Degeneration Pellets Helpful for retinal conditions.
Daily juicing of organic fruits and vegetables helps provide important nutrition for your eyes.
There are five stages to this disease as follows:
- Pre vitelliform: Initially a recording of eye movements and eye position identifies abnormal electrical potential. Eyes will be tested resting or moving in dark and light conditions.
- Vitelliform: Usually occurs between 10-25 years of age. Typical yellow spots, sometimes accompanied by material leaking into a space by the retina can be observed; an observation called “egg-yolk” lesion.
- Pseudohypopyon: When part of the lesion becomes absorbed, this is identified as stage three. Even at this stage there may be little effect on vision.
- Vitelliruptive: At this stage, when the “egg-yolk” breaks up in a process referred to as “scrambled-egg”, sight will probably be affected.
- Atrophic: The fifth and final stage is when the condition causes the most severe sight loss.
NOTE: Choroidal neovascularization (and subsequent retinal bleeding) results in about 1 in 5 patients.